Best season: April through October
The Pamir Highway, the Fan Mountains, colorful markets, interesting people, all this and more are to be found in Tajikistan. The Pamir Highway is on of the bucket list trips people frequently ask about. Although we do not yet have an office in Dushanbe, many of our cars are equipped to travel Tajikistan. Pick up your rental 4x4 in Bishkek or in Osh (transfer fees apply), and head over the border into the wild mountains of Tajikistan. Your rent includes the border crossing documents and our 24/7 phone assistance.
Road conditions vary wildly in Tajikistan. Near Khujand and Dushanbe they tend to be quite good. However the north road from Dushanbe to Kalaikhum is stunning but treacherous. The road in the Wakhan is intact, but is badly potholed and corrugated. It runs along the Panj River, so it is also narrow in places. North through Murghab there are great sections and sections where you wonder if it even qualifies as a road. For this reason we only allow our strongest 4x4s to go.
Pick-up and drop-off of your rental car must be in Kyrgyzstan or Kazakhstan. Tour clients can be picked up and dropped off in Tajikistan, but rentals cannot.
Recommended travel from May through October, off-season is possible, but riskier. We recommend 12 days minimum for a round trip from Bishkek to Bishkek through the Pamirs. It's possible in about 10, but most find 12-14 a better length.
Check out the photo gallery below then keep reading for more information and cars that are available for travel in Tajikistan.
Your rental includes:
- Unlimited kilometers
- Insurance for your car and for third parties
- Border crossing documents (official fees at the border will add up to around $50/car)
- Information on favorite locations in Tajikistan
- Assistance planning your trip
- Support in crossing the border (how to deal with scams and what documents to ask for)
- Sturdy, puncture resistant tires
- Good spare tire
- Spare fuel can(s)
- Basic repair tools
- Additional drivers included for free (up to three total drivers)
- Professional, English-speaking help available 24/7 by phone
Tours with guides and drivers are available on request.
Check below for available rentals.